When The Dust Settles – Quick Reflection on EduTech 2015

You might know how it goes with large educational conferences…. The excitement of attending. Sorting out travel plans. PLN meet-ups. Wading through inordinate numbers of edu-celeb paparazzi trying to grab a selfie with notable speakers or said PLN. Deathly long queues for food. Darkened conference rooms with a constellation of device lights glimmering and fingers tapping feverishly to capture a photo from a slide on the big screen or a cool or insightful sound-bite. A flick through Twitter feeds to check the official # or for retweets, favourites, follows etc. Don’t get me wrong, I am also guilty of these things too. They are just part-and-parcel of the experience. It’s difficult, because the feeling of being saturated with marketing and sponsorship can, for me, take away from the essence of teachers coming together to share practice and discuss the human-side, not corporate side of our profession.

I have been left reflecting on the recent EduTech 2015 conference I attended in Brisbane on the 2nd-5th June. To cut to the chase, I have mixed reactions. I knew before attending that we would be swamped with hard marketing of technological products, have global edu-business foist the assertion that they have ‘worked out what works and why’ on us. Ironic, aren’t we there to learn and make up our own minds what is important to us in our contexts? Much vaunted technology companies would give us (educators and students) the assistive tools to bring learning to life, increase engagement and make learning stick. I lost count of the number of free sweets, pens, bags and information packs I was offered. Again though, this is just part of the course.

In the end, I learnt most, and was genuinely interested in listening to teachers talk about their classrooms, their strategies, their ideas, their struggles, their inquiry and their research. What works for them and what doesn’t? Matt Esterman beautifully captures the essence of what I consider to have been the most valuable element of the whole conference, the TeachMeets. I discovered some excellent perspectives on my own interests and development priorities as well as those for my school from other educators who have become valuable connections. It reaffirmed for me that the profession has a strong sense of sharing and there are people on the ground doing some amazing things. This shows the great value in the ‘inside-out rather than outside-in’ approach to education. I did however thoroughly enjoy excellent sessions with Nick Jackson, Valerie Hannon and Larry Rosenstock to name a few. The event was also superbly chaired by Dan Haesler. They brought some important messages to us.

So when the dust has settled, what then will be the impact of EduTech on my learning? Has this conference and the PD been worth it? I want to be able to justify my attendance. Will my school, my teaching and importantly my students benefit?

Thomas Guskey has written extensively on determining the relationship between professional development (PD) and improvements in student learning. He asks the question, ‘what does the evidence tell us about the characteristics of effective professional development?’ Fundamentally, engagement with PD and practitioner learning should have some direct or indirect impact where it matters most, with students learning and/or pastoral care. Irrespective of whether the PD is tailored to role development, the exploration of new ideas, products, leadership growth or strategy, the work we do boils down to the work of schools – learning development and holistic growth.

“Effective professional development requires considerable time, and that time must be well organized, carefully structured, purposefully directed, and focused on content or pedagogy or both.” Guskey 2009)

Organisations should, he suggests, evaluate the effectiveness of PD and consider the impact it has had on the professional growth of teachers and more importantly student learning. This will naturally take time to determine but should set out to design in methods of analysis. This is also important to help organisations justify expenditure, staff release and make public the intention to learn in order to grow and also have impact. His Five Critical Levels for Evaluating Professional Development can be seen below.

Guskey

Reference: https://uen.instructure.com/courses/297394/pages/5-how-is-professional-development-evaluated-in-terms-of-fidelity-of-implementation-as-well-as-impact

As Guskey illustrates, time will tell whether any of the thinking and learning I have undertaken will have impact. I have been left with more questions than answers, but in my book that is ok because I will have to carefully consider the next steps of design and implementation of a handful of strategies and ideas to create learning that sticks, is meaningful and relevant. My goal is to ensure that what I have discovered from generous, intelligent and informed educators can be practically applied, help me grow and take root where it matters most, in the classrooms of my schools and with our students. The sponsored bags, pens, handouts mean nothing. The learning and I what I do with it is all that matters.

3 thoughts on “When The Dust Settles – Quick Reflection on EduTech 2015

1. I am both asked and ask myself the value of such events. In a recent response, I stated:

In my role as eSmart Co-ordinator, I would continue to support staff across the school in how to implement ‘best practise’ – or maybe next practise, depending how you see it – across the school. A part of this would be continuing to share some of the lessons learnt through the eBox blog. I am also always willing to provide any support to staff who request it. Whether this be in my direct teams or other teachers and leaders who come and seek me out. With this in mind, I feel it important to stay abreast of what is happening elsewhere, at other schools, particularly in regards to digital literacies and citizenship.
    In regards to our annual implementation plan, I feel it comes back to wellbeing and student connectedness to school. Although I do not think that technology is the ‘panacea’, I see it as an ingredient that is a part of a complex solution.

You however have left me thinking Jon. I wonder about the wider impact of such events. The opportunities to network that are afforded by being their and impact that such sharing as this may have. Looking at Guskey’s list, it feels like schools are disconnected entities. Should this be the case anymore? Take for example your reflection from WELS. I feel that sharing in such a manner allows for a wider impact that simply the school?
    Might need to dig deeper.

2. Hi Jon,

First of all great to meet you f2f in Brissy… and thanks for your kind words…

For me the effectiveness of Edutech or similar events comes down to how the individual contextualises their experience and whether or not they then receive or can garner support in their context/community etc..

To listen to Eric Mazur speak about assessment and have it resonate with you is one thing. For you to then think about what it might look like in your context, is another. For you to design how it might be implemented is a step further again, and getting buy in…? Well that’s the holy grail.

Events like Edutech can form a part of your approach to PD, as long as your BS detectors are fully charged… $500 USD per device is a cheap solution apparently!

Just as Teachmeets can form part of your approach… like anything… teachers need a balance and they need to take ownership of their learning… not wait for it to be ‘delivered.’

With the move to a fully accredited environment in the next couple of years, there will be a huge surge in the amount of providers delivering PD… so increasing teachers will have to be critical in their evaluation of what is worth their time or not. I think Guskey’s framework offers us a good guide to base these evaluations on.

Just my 2 cents!
    Cheers,
    Dan

3. Thanks Jon. Important questions, especially given the significant cost of attending a major conference like EduTech. The Guskey levels table is really useful and got me thinking about different PD experiences of my own and how I’d respond to each level. A couple of questions: Did you attend on your own or with colleagues? Will you set aside a debriefing time back in school? It’s a further investment but can pay dividends in terms of impact.
    Finally, you brought to mind some previous pondering I had done around the notion of PD push v PD pull. Here’s an early (imperfect) Prezi of my thinking: http://prezi.com/qtwfivzhr24j/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share
    I’d welcome your thoughts.