The Value of Taking the New Ball and Talking to Mid-Off

Being told WHAT to do, HOW to do it, and WHEN to do it can feel incredibly judgemental. The voice of ‘expertise’ may in fact cause more harm than good if he/she assumes you can DO what is suggested or directed. They may also not consider how you feel about it. Being less directive and instead more inquiring and feedback-oriented can be more supportive. With a plethora of voices in our schools offering up practice advice, it’s tough to wade through the cacophony of research, experience, directives & mandates. Coaching could be a solution. E.G. (another cricket example, sorry)

Commentator: Johnson has taken the new ball. They really have to do something to break this partnership. There’s nothing earth-shattering happening out there. The batsmen are settled and comfortable. This really isn’t a challenge for them. The crowd are offering Johnson all sorts of ‘advice’. The last thing he needs right now are too many voices pontificating about what to do and how to do it. Have they any idea what it’s like out there? He needs a quiet word in his ear from the skipper.

Commentator: Johnson doesn’t even check his field settings before steaming in and bowling a VERY short bouncer that flies over the batsmen’s unflinching head. NO-BALL! At least make the batsmen play at the ball!

Commentator: Johnson marks out his run-up again, but this time checks his field positions. He turns, runs in, WIDE BALL called. Johnson is really having trouble out there. His skipper reorganises the slip-cordon and runs out to mid-off. He’s having a word with his bowler. You can bet he’s telling Johnson to calm down, slow down and focus. The skipper looks like he is asking if the fielding positions need changing. Johnson thinks about it, makes a minor adjustment and moves to his run-up mark.

Commentator: He charges in and attacks the crease with real intent. The ball whistles past the outside edge of the bat and hits the keeper’s gloves hard. That was much better by Johnson. He tried something different with that ball to try and get the batsmen to play in the corridor of uncertainty outside off stump. He is going to have to think hard after that ball. Johnson walks back to his mark and pauses to speak to the skipper at mid-off (who is mic’d up). We can cross-live.

Captain: “What did you do there Jonno?”

Johnson: “He’s coming forward to everything and playing with heavy hands skip. I dropped it slightly short of a length to get him to play to play forward and induce an edge”.

Captain: “Good thinking. What else could you do to get him into that corridor of uncertainty?”

Johnson: “I could chuck him the outswinger, something else to surprise him with and think about.”

Captain: “Ok. Do you need to make any field changes for that do you think?”

Johnson: “I guess I could put in another slip.”

Captain: “No worries. Just focus on what it is you want to do, nothing else.”

Commentator: Johnson turns. Pauses, charges in. The ball hits the pads. Everyone goes up, HOWZATTTTT! The umpire takes his time and finally shakes his head. Not out. Johnson and the skipper meet half way down the track. The keeper is joining the conversation now. Let’s head out to the middle and hear what they are talking about.

Captain: “Jonno, do you want to refer this? Do we challenge the decision and get some more feedback?”

Johnson: “I reckon so skip. I did everything we planned and I reckon I have him square in front of middle stump”.

Captain: “Ok. Is there any uncertainty in your mind Jonno? Anything that could make you think the decision might not go our way?”

Johnson: “No skip, I reckon I’ve dead-set got him there”.

Captain: “Ok. Ump, we’ll refer that please.”

Commentator: Looks like we are going to the technology folks. A smart move here. We’re going to get some great and accurate feedback here. Ok, Snicko definitely hears no contact with anything. Hotspot shows the ball definitely didn’t strike the bat. Hawkeye puts the ball pitching in line with the wickets and hitting half-way up middle stump. That’s out. The message is coming up on the big screen – the crowd erupts and the team mob Johnson. The partnership is broken. It was worth taking the new ball. Johnson has made the breakthrough. Great to see the skipper working with his bowlers.

Practice change is challenging for teachers. Researching and employing a new intervention or innovation can be daunting. We always want to work out if it worked and evidence the degree of impact. All the research or inquiry structures and approaches in the world can be built, but I believe that Kraft and Papay (2014) make it clear for us that a supportive professional environment can have the profound impact on educator growth and ultimately student outcomes we desire.

“Practice and research have started to highlight promising avenues for promoting improvement among teachers, such as providing teachers with actionable feedback about their instruction, creating opportunities for productive and sustained peer collaboration, supporting teachers’ efforts to maintain an orderly and disciplined school environment, and investing in a school culture characterized by high expectations, trust and mutual respect.” (pp 31)

An instructional coach (Mid-off – a cricket fielding position) is a perfect example of one investment that can reap significant dividends and contribute to a positive professional environment of support. Their strategic position, side-by-side with the bowler (teacher) is non-judgemental, and ‘holds-the-mirror-up’. They evoke reflection on practice interventions or innovation (the new ball) by asking probing questions and work to provide specific feedback (umpires decision or referral to technology) on what can be observed. Coaches actively listen and offer quiet words of encouragement. The coaching partnership should build self-efficacy but design in expectation. It is important to note that they are on-field, not someone directing from a distance or the sidelines. Not all coaches should be leaders.

The quality of feedback, and subsequently teaching and learning, is key to growth and improved outcomes. So when you are seeking a human-centred, high-impact, growth-oriented solution to systemic and transformational change in practice, carefully consider a Mid-Off. Or, ask yourself this … how often do our leaders move to Mid-Off? Better still, how can we develop Coaches who can build healthy relationships, work to engender trust and have at the heart of their work growth. The professional conversations are critical. As Ralph Stacey says (credit to Chris Munro for the graphic):

photo 1

2 thoughts on “The Value of Taking the New Ball and Talking to Mid-Off

1. Great post Jon. The picture of an on-field coach is a powerful one when translated back into a school context. It made me wonder who I’d want at “mid-off” in my classroom and if I was willing to be vulnerable in front of the whole team. How honest are the relationships, and therefore how strong is the trust, between members of the team? Am I willing to make mistakes in front of this person? (and the rest of the team?) Do I trust this person to give me honest feedback? Am I confident that this person shares my desire to achieve the goal? Is my voice heard when the skipper is talking tactics and analysing performance? Do I own my decisions, and outcomes, when I’m bowling for the team?
    Lots to think about…. and thanks for the cricket instruction too!

2. Nice one Jon – using the cricket analogy – I’d suggest most of the conversation and relationship building is done off-field – in the dressing room, in the nets and in general interaction as part of the team. How many poor performances though are needed before one is dropped? Food for thought.